Saturday, March 15, 2008

Souvenir from Hong Kong - Words of Wisdom

I am back from the Land of Dim Sum, where every other person is lugging a branded carrier and every gal is skinny. Grr... Biatch.

Kidding.

It was a pretty good trip. Worked some, shopped some, ate more than some. The local guide on my bus was a feisty fat mama, who didn't mince her words. But she was uber entertaining.

On me: "You're a celebrity (to which, I replied, I'm not. I'm a broadcaster.) Whatever. Nice face, but too fat. You have to be skinny. Most celebs are size two or four. Work on it."

To the owner at a dessert shop: "The last time I visited, everything was good but your warm chocolate cake was five minutes overcooked. The eggs blah blah blah, so the flour blah blah blah,
which is why I'm not ordering it today. Gimme the mango wrap instead."

Owner appreciated her constructive criticisms, and promised that the choc cake would be good this time round. It was EXCELLENT. And on the house.

I love this part.

On courtship: "It's a culture in Hong Kong for guys to buy stuff for gals. And gals, you shouldn't feel bad about spending their money. My son's dating now, and I told him, you better learn to take care of your girlfriend.

That's the problem with you Singaporean women. You are too thoughtful even from the start. Let them lavish you with gifts and attention. However, when the need arises, you should also be willing to give up everything for your man. Then he'll never be able to escape your clutches. Like my husband. Muahahahaha!!!"

Told you it was an interesting encounter.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i'm the HK person u know who's not skinny! -yilan

kay said...

hahaha yilan, u're a hoot!