Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Too young to die

listening to mayday's 'Wang Ci'...

A piece of tragic news greeted me yesterday morning: Taiwanese actress Xu Weilun, 28, died forty odd hours after the car accident.

Due to our job nature, we follow entertainment news very closely. Gossiping about celebrities is a daily event. It was only a few weeks back that JF and I were discussing about Xu Weilun. And over the weekend, while I was:
1. chilling out with the gang at XJ and E's place,
2. envying other people's fat bonuses,
3. whining about the Mr Wrongs in my life,
4. fretting over the zits that popped up out of the blue,
5. having dinner with my family,
she was struggling for her life.

Now she's gone.

I'm not grieving because she was a celebrity. It is not about her occupation, status, wealth or beauty. It also doesn't matter whether you are well-acquainted with the person or not. To have a young life taken away at its prime, is always so, so painful.

I remember the anguish my family suffered when Third Uncle passed away in an accident. Mom and aunts still weep whenever they talk about him. I also recall the sorrow my friends and I felt when we heard about the deaths of our various schoolmates. We kept asking the same question: Why them? But they're too young to die!

This sounds awfully selfish and insensitive, but I'm grateful to alive. I'm also thankful that my family, friends and loved ones are safe and sound for now, and hopefully forever.