Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Report Card for 2007

We've finally come to that time of the year. Five days before we usher in the new year.

It's not mandatory, but I like to pause before the bell strikes 12, and spend time to reflect upon the happenings for the past 365 days.

2007 hasn't been an easy year. Especially in terms of work.

Three of my team mates left for greener pastures after the second half of the year. We'd always been tighter than thieves. Braved through challenges together, fought countless battles alongside one another. We worked and laughed and wept and swore and bitched as one. The best team one could ever ask for. Their departure was a huge loss.

Soon, work piled up and shit hit the fan. Gross.


My passion for radio was dying. I was ready to throw in the towel and dive into something else. Anything else. I blew the dust off my old CV and started to do up a new one. My friends and family looked out for me. They informed me each time they found something I might like, and put up with my endless griping patiently.

After much consideration, I finally decided I could grit my teeth and hang in there a little longer. I thanked the headhunters and forsook the idea of career switch. Things suddenly took a turn for the better, and interesting opportunities came my way. Including the recent Shanghai trip and the upcoming Hong Kong/ Macau one. Funny how life works in strange ways.

Then there are two things I'm always thankful for: my family and friends.

At times, I enjoy being on my own. I purposely drive out for lunch alone. I space out alone. I decline invitations for coffee and dinner because I'd rather stay at home alone. I call it my 'anti-social moment'. But I know this is only possible because I can always turn to my family and friends if the solitude gets overbearing. They are my safety net in this topsy-turvey world.

I attempted to spend more time with my folks when Bro left for studies in Australia. I don't think I did very well though. The prodigal daughter hadn't make good, but she'll try harder next year.

This year was a good year to get hitched.


I'm at the grand old age whereby marriage life and parenthood is the norm. Each time I met up with various groups of friends, I'd gain new insight. Like:
~ where to get wedding gowns (Vera Wang is waaaaay cheaper in States than the Link),
~ where to look for reliable tailors (the name 'Kim' has popped up more than once),
~ which hotel serves delish food (they told me Oriental)
~ which layout is bad (one of the hotels has a pillar in the middle of the ballroom)
~ which months are fully booked (weekends of December),
~ which diamond cut shows the brilliance, and which one doesn't,
~ who takes good pictures, videos etc.

While I reveled in my buddies' joy, I could only stomach that much wedding talk. As this is coming from someone who'd rather elope and ride into the sunset on a mountain goat, I doubt anyone could blame me. Nevertheless, I'd still smile and nod on cue because my friends are happy. Girls and boys (I play fair), please forgive me if my eyes glaze over sometimes, okay?


My emotions were relatively calmer in 2007 too.

If you minus the occasional outbursts, there was less mental turmoil and angst as compared to past two years. I went through past entries in order to write this one. To be honest, revisiting the emo period gave me goosebumps. I prefer the current jolly contentment/ indifference.

Met That One again at another wedding. Had lunch with The Other and he told me he was tying the knot soon. Went out a few more times with That Other One, before he and I both came to a silent concensus that certain things were just not meant to be. Us being one of them. No regrets coz I'm beginning to know what I want on this road to self-discovery.

Five more days to go before the arrival of 2008.
Right now, I have an outstanding dinner date, except I'm probably gonna take a rain check. I'm still friends with a nice, funny, silly person who drives me up the wall sometimes. Then again, Wang Lee Hom may just decide that I'm the love of his life and propose to me. Anything could happen. Who knows? :)

No comments: