Monday, February 25, 2008

Thanks but I'll carry my own bag

listening to flo rida's 'Get Low' (featuring t-pain)...
~~~
I almost spat out my coffee in mirth after reading the Sunday papers.

A survey has found that Singapore women expect their dates to pay for meals, see them home and carry their handbags.
By Mak Mun San

Get this: The survey found that they expect their men to pay for their dates, deposit them safely home afterwards, initiate celebrations and dress up on special occasions, meet them at least twice a week, open doors to cars and restaurants and - oh - some even expect guys to carry their handbags for them.

Not me. Nor many of the female friends I know.

It's not because we're bra-burning feminists, but rather, we'd been well-trained since our adolescent years. Coming from traditional (read: slightly MCP)schools like mine, we grew up expecting doors to be slammed in our faces, rather than having the boys hold them open.

To be fair to my male schoolmates, they didn't mean it. They would volunteer to carry benches, build fires for barbeques and all the manly stuff. Holding doors just wasn't their cup of tea. But most of them picked up the idea of gallantry, after being screamed at endlessly by shrewish teenage gals. As for the totally clueless ones, we'll talk about them another time.

When I first went out with a boy from another school, I was surprised. He drew chairs, footed the bill, walked on the outerside of the road, and yes, even opened doors. A perfect gentleman. In other words, culture shock.

It was flattering, yet odd. Honestly speaking, that few seconds which he took, walking from his car seat to mine, was slightly torturous for me. Should I sit and look out of the windscreen blankly? Should I smile at him? Or maybe I should open the door myself? Eventually I mastered the art of door-waiting: by preoccupying myself with the seatbelt during these seven long seconds.

But I digress. Chivalry from the guys is nice but it isn't a woman's prerogative. Like how we warn our guy friends and our brothers against women who are too pampered, Ladies, please make sure you yourself don't make ridiculous demands.

For one, I draw a line at having my handbags carried. Bulking shopping bags, heavy market baskets and huge luggage are considered cargo, thus acceptable for men to lend a hand. If he's holding it for you coz you're busy/ in the toilet/ saving the world, that's alright too. What I can't stand, is the sight of a guy holding his gf in one hand, and her tiny little purse in the other.

*faints. wakes up. roars.*

If the purse is so cumbersome, then use your pocket! And if it's that bloody heavy, why on earth are you putting an elephant in your stupid palm-size pink feathery clutch?!?!?!

Anyway, I wouldn't want my man to carry my bag. Knowing them, guys will probably end up scratching our LVs, staining our Bottegas and ruining our Hermes.

3 comments:

~justin~ said...

thank u, for not being the 90% spoilt ladies in spore...lol

Sunnytears said...

hiak hiak hiak. =)

maybe it's coz we came from the same sch/type of schs, but i definitely also DO NOT want my bf/husband to carry my handbag for me!

now, it's a different matter altogether if it's a 100kg backpack.. =)

kay said...

justin: hahaha... you're welcome :)

sunnytears: 100kg backpack??!! I think we shouldn't ask the guys to carry that. We should get an elephant instead. Haha!